TART & SPICY CRANBERRY APPLE SAUCE
Makes about a quart
- 3 lbs apples (I'd use a sweet variety)
- 12 oz fresh cranberries, rinsed and bruised ones removed
- 1&1/4 cups cranberry-apple juice (read your labels, I used a brand that was 100% juice)
- 1/4 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (optional)
- Peel, core, and slice your apples. I peel them with a vegetable peeler, scoop out the stem and bottom ends with a tomato huller, cut them in half lengthwise, and use a melon baller to scoop out the core. Then I cut each half again so I have quarters and either slice thinly by hand or run them through a food processor fit with a slicing disk.
- Combine the apples, cran-apple juice, and cranberries in a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours, stirring once halfway through.
- Add the spices, if desired, and mash with a potato masher until as smooth as you can get it.
VARIATION: JELLIED CRANBERRY-APPLE SAUCE: While the sauce is still hot from the crock pot, measure out 3 cups and combine it with 5 tsp gelatin (preferably grass-fed such as this brand). If using packets such as Knox, use 5 tsp = 2 packets. Whisk it together thoroughly. Add 3 cups cold cranberry-apple juice and whisk until combined. Pour into a 9x5 loaf pan lined with plastic wrap or a ring mold or a bundt pan. Let chill overnight or until set.