SUMMER SQUASH & PESTO GRATIN
Serves 4-6 as a side
- 1/2 lb green summer squash such as zucchini
- 1/2 lb yellow summer squash
- 1/2 lb tomatoes
- 1/3 cup spinach-walnut pesto (you'll have plenty left over, just freeze whatever you don't use) or storebought pesto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Slice the squashes and tomato about 1/4" thick.
- Line an 8x8 casserole dish with nonstick foil. Brush the bottom with a bit of pesto. Layer half the squash slices and tomato, slightly overlapping. Cover with half of the pesto (I used my hands). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat; make another layer with the remaining squash and tomatoes, then cover with the remaining pesto.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares before serving.
FREEZING DIRECTIONS: Cover and freeze. You may want to use a disposable aluminum pan that you won't miss if you stick it in the freezer. To serve, thaw overnight. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.