This is like eating a full Thai curry packed into a neat little burger patty. I mixed ground chicken with red curry paste, "peanut" butter (actually sunflower seed butter), and other seasonings found in curry sauce. I also added some veggies to for flavor, color, and volume. On the side is an herb salad with a base of mint, cilantro, and Thai basil dressed with fish sauce and lime. I used this recipe, though next time I will use 2 Tbs fish sauce instead of fish + soy in the dressing.
You could also make this as sliders for an appetizer. Just pan-fry mini patties and serve them in lettuce cups with a sprinkling of the herb salad on top.
I used ground chicken, but I think ground pork would be great as well if you're not a poultry fan.
THAI CURRY CHICKEN BURGERS
- 1 lb ground chicken (or ground pork)
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 egg white (or use a whole egg if you'd prefer, it's just to hold everything together)
- 1 Tbs red curry paste
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup nut butter (peanut butter is probably the tastiest but if you avoid legumes, sunflower seed, cashew, or macadamia would all work. Use 1/4 cup if you're watching calories, 1/2 cup would be tastier though)
- 1/2 tsp chili-garlic paste or Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 Tbs fresh ginger, grated OR 1/2 tsp high-quality ground ginger
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/2 Tbs fish sauce
- 1 Tbs minced cilantro
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Using damp hands, form the meat mixture into four uniform patties.
- In a pan on the stove top, sear each side over medium-high heat until browned (extra-virgin coconut oil is ideal here for greasing the pan, but any fat will work). Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until opaque throughout.
- Serve with Thai herb salad on the side