SLOW-COOKER SAUSAGE, PEPPERS, AND ONIONS
Serves about 4
- One 12-16 oz package of sausages (Aidells organic basil & garlic sausage is widely-available and has no added sugar, nitrates, or dairy. But you can use whatever you like!)
- Bag of frozen pepper and onion stir-fry veggies (I used this kind)
- 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbs dried Italian herb mix
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- Salt and pepper to taste (you may not need salt if your sausage and canned tomatoes are salty)
- Your favorite pasta substitute for serving (I used half of a large spaghetti squash, and cooked it according to this photo tutorial)
- Optional: grated Parmesan and/or shredded mozzarella cheese for topping
- Combine the crushed tomatoes with the garlic and herbs. Cut the sausage into bite-sized chunks and mix it with the tomato mixture.
- Put half the peppers and onions (unthawed) into the bottom of your slow cooker. Dump the sausage mixture on top, then the rest of the peppers and onions. Add salt and pepper and cook on low for 6 hours. Serve atop your pasta substitute of choice.