I've discovered that leafy greens work just as well as bread for soaking up egg yolk. Thus, this is a favorite of mine to eat as a light lunch or brunch. Take a couple of eggs, poach or fry them, and serve atop a salad with crumbled bacon and a tasty vinaigrette. I like it better with poached eggs but I can cook them in a frying pan a little more rapidly and I was hungry, so the picture shows eggs that I cooked over-medium. Feel free to add any veggies you like; I like the sweetness and crunch of red bell pepper and I also added a cucumber that I had to use up.
SALAD WITH EGGS
- Salad greens of choice (I used a 50/50 mixture of mixed field greens and baby spinach)
- About a fourth of a red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 strips bacon, sliced into 1" pieces and cooked in a frying pan until crisp
- Vinagrette dressing (I made my own by combining equal parts extra virgin olive oil and sherry vinegar plus a blob of Dijon mustard and some salt and pepper)
- Any other salad veggies of choice (optional; I added some diced cucumber, thinly sliced sweet onion would work nicely, as would fresh herbs such as chives or dill)
- Poach the eggs or pan-fry them to desired doneness.
- Mound the salad greens and other veggies in the center of the plate. Sprinkle with bacon and top with the eggs. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.