On a recommendation from Nom Nom Paleo, I bought a copy of Slow Cooker Revolution. I bought it because:
- I end up eventually buying everything recommended on that blog (Sous Vide machine, kitchen torch, bunch of speciality spices...oh dear)
- I love America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated. I've had a membership to their site for years. If you're not familiar, they engineer recipes by obsessively testing and retesting each detail until they come out with something perfect. In the cookbook they explain the rationale behind each decision and why a given recipe works. I figure it will help me with developing slow cooker recipes in the future.
- I'm obsessed with using my crock pot.
- They had a Kindle edition!! I've been wanting to buy a Kindle cookbook for so long. Love that I can search it and add digital bookmarks.
Serves about 4
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs (I used boneless ones, bone-in would be fine. Do not use chicken breasts, the texture will be terrible in the crock pot.)
- 1 bag frozen mirepoix (carrots, celery, and onion) or trinity (bell pepper, celery, and onion). Publix and Kroger both sell these under their store brand. If they don't have it, a finely chopped large onion should be fine.
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 oz dried mushrooms, minced (I just pulsed these in my spice grinder until finely chopped. The original recipe used porcinis, but all I had on hand were shittakes so I used those and also added some truffle salt)
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced (I bought pre-sliced because I am lazy)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, well-drained
- 1/2 tsp (heaping) dried Italian herb mix (or just use a single dried herb, such as oregano, basil, or thyme)
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil (probably optional), chopped or shredded
- Optional: combine the frozen mirepoix (thaw first) or onion, dried mushrooms, garlic, oil, tomato paste, and pepper flakes in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add the above ingredients along with the sliced mushrooms, wine, dried herbs, and diced tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and nestle them into the sauce.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low (guidelines). Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.