This is "ridiculously easy" because:
- Crock pot. 'Nuff said.
- I used a premade curry paste. Specifically, I used Patak's rogan josh paste. You could certainly use another curry paste or a spice blend, but that's the one I picked. I was planning to make rogan josh, but lamb was super expensive :(
- I mixed up everything ahead of time and froze it. When I wanted to cook it I just dumped the whole thing into the slow cooker, still frozen.
- I wanted to add some veggies and collard greens are one of the few green things that turn out well when cooked for a long time. I got the idea to put collard greens in slow cooker curry from Christina's recipe. To make it even easier I just used a bag of frozen collard greens and threw it in there still frozen.
Here's the giant frozen mass dumped into my crock pot:
8 hours later, I had chicken curry and veggies!
SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN CURRY WITH COLLARD GREENS
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted, drained
- Half a 10 oz jar rogan josh paste such as Patak's, or other curry paste. Or 2-4 Tbs rogan josh spice (such as Penzeys or homemade) or other curry powder*.
- 1 16 oz bag frozen chopped collard greens
- 1 medium onion, chopped OR 1 cup frozen diced onion
- Optional: 1/2 cup thick coconut milk such as Aroy-D coconut cream. I didn't add this so it's not a solid recommendation, but next time I will; I think it would have been really tasty.
- Stir together the diced tomatoes and curry paste or powder (and coconut milk, if using) until thoroughly combined. Stir in the onion. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and then thoroughly coat with the tomato mixture. Freeze if desired.
- When ready to cook, dump the chicken mixture into a slow cooker with the bag of collard greens. Cook 4-6 hours on low if un-frozen, 6-8 hours if frozen.
- Serve over cauli rice.
*10/7/2012: I made this with 2 Tbs curry powder, 2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and 1/2 tsp salt in place of the Patak's paste. I also added the solids from a 5.5 oz can of coconut milk.