I saw this recipe for roasted potatoes on Pinterest and immediately wanted to try it with a different root vegetable. Turnips are much lower in both calories and carbohydrates (see a comparison here) so I figured I'd give it a shot. This was so easy to make and very tasty. I will definitely be making this one again.
PARMESAN CRUSTED ROASTED TURNIPS
Serves about 4 as a side
- About 2 lbs turnips, peeled and cut into uniform-sized chunks
- 2 Tbs olive oil (or other fat of choice)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp pimienton (Spanish smoked paprika) or regular sweet paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper (I used Penzeys 4/S as the salt)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. Use parchment paper, NOT foil, as melted cheese tends to stick to foil.
- Combine the cheese, paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, toss the turnips with the olive oil. Dump the cheese mixture over the turnips chunks and toss to coat well.
- Spread the turnip chunks on the baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes. Flip them over and roast 5 minutes more. Serve immediately.