The great thing about having an ice cream maker is that you can pour pretty much anything in there and it comes out resembling ice cream. My go-to is pureed cottage cheese, but I decided to attempt freezing cheesecake batter. I baked some low-carb grain-free graham crackers for making graham cracker crumbs. I will supply the recipe for doing so, but there are certainly easier options. You could buy some pre-made graham cracker crumbs and just use them sparingly. Or, you could toast some coarsely-ground almonds with cinnamon and sweetener. I think that the Emerald cinnamon roast almonds taste a lot like graham crackers; you could probably crush those up and use them as a topping.
In any case, this was seriously good.
STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM
Serves about 4
- 12 oz straberries, washed, stemmed, and sliced
- 6 oz cream cheese (full fat or Philadelphia brand low fat), cubed and softened
- Sweetener (your choice; I used stevia) to equal 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs vodka (optional; use if you are planning to keep the ice cream in the freezer for a while, as it will keep it soft)
- Graham cracker crumbs (see above description for diet-friendly ideas, or use the below recipe to bake your own)
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except for the strawberries and graham cracker crumbs. Puree until smooth.
- Stir in the strawberry slices.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Serve topped with graham cracker crumbs.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 scoops plain or vanilla whey protein
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (I used Penzeys Vietnamese cinnamon)
- 1 Tbs good-quality raw honey
- Sweetener to taste (I used stevia; amount depends on the sweetness of your protein powder. Start with the equivalent of 1/4 cup sugar, taste, and add more if necessary)
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg white (or 6 Tbs liquid egg white or egg substitute)
- Extra cinnamon and granular sweetener for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all dry ingredients (except sweetener) in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter in a standing mixer or electric hand mixer. Add the egg, vanilla, sweetener, and honey. Beat until smooth. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients.
- Form dough into a ball and place on a large sheet of parchment paper. Top with another sheet of parchment. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 1/8"-14" thick, then remove the top sheet of parchment. Use a pizza cutter to trim the edges and score the dough into large crackers. Prick all over with a fork. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon and granular sweetener.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and serve.