In the comments of my French toast recipe, there was some lamenting about the lack of availability of maple syrup made with erythritol. Erythritol is a type of sugar alcohol, and is one of the only sugar alcohols that does not affect blood glucose levels (source). While I normally use stevia or Splenda, I thought I'd give this one a go. Besides, I needed a break from all the pizza posts ;) You can easily use whatever sugar substitute you prefer.
SUGAR FREE MAPLE SYRUP
- 1/4 tsp flavorless oil
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 Tbs butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup erythritol, powdered in a spice grinder
- 1 dropperful (about 28 drops) vanilla-flavored stevia such as Sweetleaf Vanilla Creme OR 2 packets stevia + 1/4 tsp vanilla extract OR 4 tsp additional erythritol + 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp maple flavoring or maple extract
- Pour the oil in the bottom of a microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over it, and stir with a fork to combine. Add the butter or coconut oil and microwave on high for 40 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir again to combine.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Let it sit for a few minutes to thicken. Syrup will thicken as it cools.