This post is part of The Great Pizza Experiment
Do a Google search for "meatza" and numerous recipes will pop up. It has become a very popular item among those who eat low-carb and/or grain-free. It's easy to see the appeal; rather than attempting to simulate a traditional pizza crust, you just make a "crust" out of ground meat and top it with sauce and cheese.
I can't really rank this the way that I did the other pizzas. The husband and I both loved this. The taste was great. The texture was great. However, it was NOTHING like eating a pizza. I added seasonings to the ground meat (I used chicken) which made it taste a lot like sausage, so it had the flavors of a sausage pizza but the texture was something else altogether. But it is definitely a recipe that I will make again because it was so quick and easy while still being tasty. It was much less time consuming than meatballs (it takes me forever to roll all the meat into balls) and meatloaf (which takes a lot longer to cook).
- 1 lb ground meat of choice. Ground chicken, turkey, lean pork, or a combination would be ideal.
- 1 egg (or two egg whites + 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 oz (about 1/4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- Sausage seasonings of choice. I used 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp Adobo seasoning (basically a combo of salt, pepper, onion, and garlic), and 1 tsp fennel seed. Another option would be the Italian sausage seasoning that I used in this recipe, though I'd halve the salt and sugar. Or Penzey's sausage seasoning. Whatever you want!
- Sauce, cheese, and toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 450
- Beat the egg with Parmesan and seasonings. Add the ground meat and mix thoroughly.
- Line a large pan with parchment paper (I used a round cake pan) or spray with olive oil. Pack the meat into the pan, making it slightly thicker at the outer edges to resemble a crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Spread with sauce, cheese and toppings. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Per 1/4 pizza: 175 calories, 5g fat, 0.4g carbohydrate, 30g protein
Per 1/2 pizza (that's a half pound of meat!!): 350 calories, 11g fat, 0.8g carbohydrate, 60g protein