Low-carb refried beans, you ask?
Yep. Well, they're not exactly beans. Okay, they're not beans at all. But they will fool damn near anyone! These accommodate:
- Primal/paleo eaters who eschew legumes
- Raw vegans
MOCK REFRIED BEANS
Makes about 3 cups
- 2.5 cups raw hulled sunflower seeds, soaked in lots of cool water for 1-2 hours
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or other oil...I think pumpkin seed oil would be ideal!)
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, diced tomato (I used two medium-sized Romas)
- 2 Tbs tahini (raw or roasted, I think roasted tastes better)
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2-3 canned chipotle peppers (or chipotle powder to taste)
- 1 Tbs sweet paprika
- Juice of two limes
- Drain the sunflower seeds. It's okay if some water still clings to them, just shake them dry in a strainer.
- Put all ingredients in the food processor or Vita-Mix. Process until smooth -- it will take a WHILE to get completely smooth. Scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Taste and correct seasonings. Add more oil or a little water if too thick.
Spread some of the mock refried beans on a microwave-safe plate. Nuke for 30-45 seconds. Meanwhile, fry 1 or 2 eggs. Set the egg in the heated beans and top with salsa, diced avocado, cilantro, hot sauce, and optionally diced chorizo (I happened to have some on hand). If desired, serve with low-carb tortillas, with cheese crisps, or in a zucchini taco bowl.