This post is part of The Great Pizza Experiment
|Topped with turkey pepperoni, garlic-stuffed green olives, green pepper, mushrooms, and parmesan cheese|
This was an interesting recipe. Many of the grain-free pizza crust recipes use a liberal amount of shredded cheese as a binder. This one uses shredded cheese only, along with an egg or egg whites. I suppose it seemed only natural to give that a shot! I adapted the recipe from this one on Genaw, which was originally posted here on Low Carb Friends. I made one-fourth of the recipe for a single-serving mini-pizza.
Thick or thin crust: Thin
Taste: 5. I was not crazy about this pizza. It wasn't unpleasant per se, but there was just something unappealing about eating a big glob of melted cheese. While other recipes may use quite a bit of cheese in the crust, this uses far more. I guess that I would describe this as stoner food. Personally, if I am going to eat a huge hunk of unadulterated cheese, I'd rather put the calories toward raclette or plate of quality cheeses, not a baked disc of shredded supermarket mozzarella. I also think that the addition of cheddar in the recipe was a mistake, as I used sharp cheddar and the flavor was too strong. If you make this, I would recommend mild cheddar instead. I do think that this would be a nice pizza to make for Pesach/Passover, as it doesn't require any weird ingredients like flax meal or coconut flour and thus most people would likely have the ingredients on hand.
Texture: 6. It did get nice and crispy and can be easily eaten with your hands. But it was still, y'know, just melted cheese. I don't think one would mistake it for anything else.
Ease of preparation: Very easy
THIN AND CRISPY CHEESE PIZZA (adapted from http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/thinandcrispy_pizza.html)
- 2 oz (weight) (about 1/2 cup) shredded mozzarella (low-fat is fine)
- 1 oz (weight) (about 1/4 cup) shredded mild cheddar (low-fat is fine)
- 3 Tbs liquid egg whites or egg substitute (could use a small beaten egg instead)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Sauce and toppings of your choice (saute any vegetables first)
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine all the ingredients with a fork.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly into a very thin disk on a sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave your oven rack in the center of the oven, but turn off the oven and turn on the broiler. Add your sauce and toppings to the crust. Broil for 2-3 minutes.
243 calories, 14g fat, 3g carbohydrate, 28g protein