|Decent location for a 5k run I guess|
What's nice about pureed avocado is that it naturally thickens the ice cream base. Usually gelato uses corn starch and ice cream uses lots of sugar syrup, heavy cream, and egg yolks. Avocado is packed with fiber and monounsaturated fat, so while this is still a treat it's a bit more of a sensible indulgence. It also doesn't need to be pre-cooked on the stove, which means it doesn't need to be chilled, which means that you can have ice cream in a hurry!
If avocado ice cream seems strange to you I think you could use this as a base for mint chip or pistachio, anything with a stronger flavor where the green color would not be out of place.
AVOCADO ICE CREAM
Makes about a quart
- Two very ripe avocados
- 1 can lite coconut milk (or use full-fat if you want), chilled
- Juice of half a lemon (about 1 Tbs)
- Equivalent of 1/2 cup sugar (options) (I used Truvia, coconut palm sugar would be delicious)
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the skin and into your blender. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Pour everything into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers directions.
- If you can wait, let it firm up in the freezer for 30-60 minutes before eating. If you leave it in the freezer for very long (say overnight) be warned that it will get rock solid and you'll have to defrost before eating.